Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Hug.

I was standing in a queue with nothing that could calm myself down. Time was running out. From the corner of my eyes, I could see people whispering, people scampering from a corner to another, people locating places they ought to have gone, people finally meeting their loved ones after a long time with a hug, and there I was, listening to my fast-paced heartbeat that resulted from the incessant running and agile walking, meanwhile wondering on the edge between brimful buoyancy and cynical defeatism, if I could also receive a hug that could calm my flurried nerves.

In front of me, there were a pair of lovely Dutch couple and a Spanish man. The Spanish man must be new to this town, I thought to myself. The Dutch were helping him with the train ticket machine and while I was completely unsure if the machine would also accept a foreign bank card, I knew they could be of utmost help. 

Oh yes, of course! Our friend here is using his Spanish card and there is no problem at all with that! 

Her smile was somehow influential. It was the kind of smile that pierced through all the bad at that moment and suddenly all was well again. 

Are you from China? 

Oh, you're a Malaysian student studying in the UK! That sounds great. 

How are you enjoying Amsterdam? 

..

You know what? We actually have an extra ticket to Central and I figured you might want it? 

In this world, everything works both ways. Hmm... How much should I charge you then? 

Actually, I feel like getting a hug. Maybe you could give me that in exchange? 

..

It was that kind of moment I felt like in burning flames of anxiety I suddenly had a shade to walk under the scorching Spring sun. 

I did not merely get a free ticket, but I also got a hug when I needed it the most without having to ask for it. It just came, by hook or by crook, like as if, someone knew. 

Thank you so much. 


No comments: